On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:59:17PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Now, the 6 BAD voters (teehee)

I appreciate your ability to find humor.

> But the point is, that voting as a bloc might increase your chance of getting
> your favourite option up (from 0 to 0.5 in this example above), but they
> also increase the odds of the default option getting up (again, from 0 to
> 0.5). That's a gamble, not a strategy.

Tell that to a gambler.  Seriously, in the end all that a rational
person should care about is expectation value.  On the other hand,
it is true that if the analysis is complicated and contains a lot of
uncertainty (it probably will), and a strategic vote entails risk
(it will), and the margins are not very high, most people will
probably revent to voting their heart.  Maybe that's assurance
enough.

Andrew