On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 09:14:00AM +0100, Iain Lane wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 07:14:39PM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > * Iain Lane <la...@debian.org>, 2016-09-20, 17:54:
> > > There shall be no declassification of any portion of the debian-private
> > > archives, except when the authors of all material being declassified
> > > have explicitly consented,
> >
> > So far so good...
> >
> > > or the author is quoting only his or her own text.
> >
> > Huh?
> >
> > So it would be okay to declassify someone's message without their consent as
> > long as they didn't quote other people in this message?
>
> I'm trying but I can't understand what you are trying to say here. Are
> you talking about leaking the fact that somebody replied to your own
> text by publishing their mail with all of their text removed and only
> your own quote remaining?

No, the problem is a message like this:

- --------------------
From: Bas Wijnen
To: debian-private

Bas Wijnen wrote:
> This is very private

Yes, I agree.
- --------------------

This message fits your description ("the author is quoting only his or her own
text"), and so it would be allowed *for anyone* to declassify it, without my
permission.

> It is there because the "[s]o far so good" clause contains the word
> 'explicitly', and it is absurd to have to explicitly grant yourself
> permission to quote your own text.

That makes sense.

> Feel free to suggest some alternative wording.

The person declassifying the material does not need to explicitly consent to
the declassification of their own portions of that material.

Thanks,
Bas