On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 00:10 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
> > Even more, from my experience, the availability of an HCL (ie: Hardware
> > Compatibility List) is mandatory for some vendors to choose Debian. At
> > $work, I've been told that Debian wouldn't an option for it.
>
> Would this count as a HCL for your $work?
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn

I don't think any data, fed in good faith, could be termed as an HCL input.
We should eye for certification tools similar to what Red Hat, SUSE, Canonical
and Oracle may be using.

In quick search, I came across:
http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/hcl/hcts/index.html
which looks similar to what I've wished for Debian.

Unexplored results showed the following at the very first result.
https://linux-test-project.github.io/
This one emphasized on Linux and if it serves the purpose, it could be a great
start for Debian, because Linux is our prime release target. But eventually,
we'd want to have something which could also cover parts of BSD and Hurd too.

Maybe if nothing suits, we could leverage GSoC and come up with something
tailored to the projects scope.

But, the biggest question is if we all (as project members) see, in unison, the
need for such a certification list.

I think this question and the subject fits in in the broader topic of
"universality".

--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf
RESEARCHUT - http://www.researchut.com