Hello,

intrigeri:
> Gabriel Filion:
>
>> […] and found out that xserver-xorg-core version 1.18.3-2 was
>> introducing this issue. Downgrading to 1.18.3-1 makes the visual flashes and
>> hard crashes go away.
>
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-core/NEWS.Debian.gz reads:
>
> xorg-server (2:1.18.3-2) unstable; urgency=medium
>
>   X now defaults to using built-in modesetting video driver on Intel
>   hardware which is "4th gen GMA" and newer, so roughly speaking on hardware
>   from 2007 and up. If this triggers new bugs on your hw, please file them
>   against the xserver.
>
>   Continuing to use the -intel driver is possible by dropping the template
>   xorg.conf to /etc/X11:
>
>   # cp /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-intel/xorg.conf /etc/X11
>
>  -- Timo Aaltonen <tjaal...@debian.org>  Tue, 19 Jul 2016 04:28:05 +0300
>
> So perhaps the modesetting video driver breaks things on your system.
> Can you please try switching back to the -intel driver with 2:1.18.3-2
> or newer?

I'm sorry for this big delay, but I've finally taken the time to test
this out.

I can confirm that the visual glitches and crashes are still present in
the latest version of the package, 2:1.19.0-2.

Also, when using the above-mentioned technique for forcing the driver to
"intel" (I've confirmed that it loaded by looking at
~/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.log.0), I don't see visual flashes anymore.