-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Todd Ryan
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2002 2:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Declude and Sniffer

Jeff,

I just purchased Message Sniffer this past week.  Before that, I ran
the trial version for 30 days and then produced some statistics to
prove to myself and my boss that it was worth buying.  What it boiled
down to was that I was catching 12.5% more definite spam with Message
Sniffer than without it.

A couple things that are worth mentioning...

By "definite spam", I'm being very conservative.  I don't consider
anything that has a legitimate unsubscribe method to be spam.  Many
would disagree.  We're a higher education institution so free speech
is a very important factor.  So you may find it even more effective
than I do because it will also block some of the "newsletters" that we
as mail administrators find to be at the top of the spam scale.

I was using the demo for 30 days so that means no updates.  Using it
with frequent updates will probably produce even better results.

Also, I have some very tweaked JunkMail weights and rules.  I only use
Message Sniffer only in the weighting system.  It blocks some things
that I don't consider junkmail like newsletters from emazing.com and
beliefnet.com.  So if a message ONLY fails sniffer, I don't bounce it.
It has to fail one or two other tests.

Hope this helps.  For me, I expect a 12%-15% increase in accuracy and
that is worth it.  I now have what I think is a VERY accurate
weighting system.  I've only had two instances in about 6 months where
a remote postmaster said their mail was bouncing.  In both cases they
were legitimate companies sending work-related things, but they both
were listed in one of the open relay databases so the filters worked
correctly.

--Todd.