Ron,

Tuesday, November 12, 2002 you wrote:
RH> I currently Hold a lot of e-mail failing a lot of the open relay tests.

    The only two tests I hold directly are ORDB and SNIFFER.  ORDB is
    about 99% for me and SNIFFER is less but still very high.  Mainly
    SNIFFER fails on lists and personal messages from people who have
    spam domain addresses.  ORDB only catches about 3.6% of our failed
    messages so it is not a big deal one way or the other.

RH> I am considering holding SpamCop and OSSRC also. I have not
RH> noticed any legitimate e-mail failing these two tests. Can you
RH> reply with some opinions please?

    SPAMCOP is my number 3 test in terms of number of failed messages.
    It ranks at 60.22% of failed messages compared to SNIFFER's 75.5%.
    But it fails too many legitimate messages for my users.

    OSSRC ranks 12th at 14.3% of failed messages but it also fails too
    many messages for me to hold on it alone.

    However, I weight both SPAMCOP and OSSRC so that any other test
    failed with them will trigger a HOLD.

    Keep in mind that we monitor HOLD and on average have to unhold
    about 2% of filtered messages.

RH> Also, I currently hold e-mail failing the OSSOFT, which will hold
RH> Yahoo mail. How does everyone else handle this issue?

    I weight OSSOFT the same as SPAMCOP and OSSRC.  It fails about 4%
    of our failed messages.

But I think that every user community is probably different and ours
certainly changes over time so I do monitor and tweak these settings
frequently.

HTH

Terry Fritts