A word of caution from our research.

Some legitimate messages do encode other URLs as parameters. As a result
this kind of filter requires the following constraints (still not
perfect but close):

Be sure your rule fires on the ROOT of the URL so that you are not
capturing parameters that have been encoded. For example,
href="http://%67 etc... but not just http://%67... as in
href=http://legitimate.web.host/somefn.jsp?xyz=http://%67%4D...

Look for encoding of "normal" print characters such as letters and
numbers as these are not normally encoded in legitimate URLs. (_usually_
is important here as some automated link generation systems we've seen
do code everything either as a half-hearted attempt at security or just
because it's easier to "hit every nail with the hammer".)

If you combine these two constraints then the rule can be very
effective.

Hope this helps,
_M

Pete McNeil (Madscientist)
Chief SortMonster (www.sortmonster.com)
VOX: 703-406-2016
FAX: 703-406-2017

| > |
| > | However, that's the way spam control is heading.  As more
| and more
| > | people get fed up with spam, more and more of the bozos that are
| > | doing things the
| > | wrong way will need to fix their problems.
| > |
| > | I can understand an HTML E-mail having one or two comments in it,
| > | but 10 or 20 is just a waste of bandwidth.  That is
| information the
| > | recipient will
| > | never see.
| > |