They belong on the same list as Citicorp & its subsidiaries.

George

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Sanford Whiteman
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 2:54 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Declude.JunkMail] OT: Pots & Kettles in the Clair de Lune

All,

A  noteworthy  encounter  with  the  officious  admin of a combination
draconian/broken  server.  I  think my state of mind will be picked up
pretty  quickly  from  the following snippet. IPs and hosts changed to
protect  the not-so-innocent--including us, since I did screw up, too, but
STILL...

>> ...our  firewall  does a reverse lookup. mail.clientco.com resolves
>> as  1.1.1.1...Since  these  two  IP  addresses  do  not  match, our
>> firewall rejects the connection...
>
> This  strict  constraint is certainly not evident from the 421 message
> returned by your server.
>
> Moreover,  your  own mail servers do not meet this requirement! Your
> mail server at 2.2.2.2 uses EHLO text--
>
> EHLO [3.3.3.3]
>
> --a violation of your own requirement, since the PTR, ptr.draco.com,
> does  not  even  have  an A record at all. If ClientCo employed your
> policy, *they* would reject *your* mail!
>
> This  EHLO  is  also  a  violation of RFC 2821, which states that an
> address  literal is only allowed if a host has no name (3.3.3.3 does
> have  a PTR record, and therefore does have a name), and a violation
> of the common test to see if EHLO and PTR match (since a PTR cannot,
> by definition, resolve to an address literal).
>
> Though  I  appreciate  the  anti-spam utility of deeply verifying EHLO
> arguments,  returning  a  4xx  code  rather  than a 5xx undermines any
> "educational"  utility,  wasting  everybody's  bandwidth  and delaying
> issue  resolution.  And  if  you  should  have occasion to review this
> policy  in  the  future,  I do hope you consider that your own systems
> violate it. :)
>
> Sincerely yours,
>
> Sandy

-Sandy