Does anyone off hand know which RFC talks about the proper action to take on
receipt of message, or a good RFC search tool?  I remeber reading something
about req'mt to store on HD.  We're looking at setting up gateway server and
using SMTP Verfiy to the destination server so we don't have to export users
list.
The two most common ones for E-mail are RFC821 and RFC822. I recall reading the requirement for E-mails to be stored on the hard drive, but don't remember which it was in (it may have been in a subsequent RFC).

One good source for RFC information is http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/default0501.htm . The official site of the RFC editor is http://www.rfc-editor.org/ .