This morning, while going through the email holds, I noticed an email with an
attachment that was 99K... the typical size of infected Bugbear virus emails.
So luckily we didn't send it through...

According to the docs (and my boss), the virus scanner should be picking up any
messages before it gets detected as spam. However, this time it looks like it
didn't happen. Is there any known reason for this? Or are the docs wrong?
Does a message get detected as spam first and then is checked for virii?

Declude Virus will run before Declude JunkMail -- except if you use an "AVAFTERJM" option in your virus.cfg file.

If you check the time/date of the E-mail that was held, you'll probably see that it was held before the virus definitions were updated to be able to catch that variant of Bugbear.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.