Be careful blocking solely on RDNS and HELOBOGUS. There are many legitimate
mail servers out there with ignorant DNS admins. We are lucky to have Scott,
Len (on the Imail list), and DNS Stuff/Report. I have taken the approach to
attempt to enlighten them with the following email. Because my users recover
their own email it make doing this easier.

------------------------
Hi, I am Kevin Bilbee the Network Administrator at Standard Abrasives.

We are having some issues receiving email from your mail server. I would
appreciate it if you could help me out. Your mail server is missing a few
DNS entries that are required to validate that email is coming from your
server and not someone pretending to be you. About 60% of the mail coming
into our server is unsolicited (SPAM) so being able to identify legitimate
email is important to us. These items are outlined below.

with no reverse DNS entry.
This is the link to the Internet Engineering Task Force site and the RFC for
Common DNS Operational and Configuration Errors section 2.1. It discusses
DNS and common configuration errors pertaining to mail servers.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1912.txt?number=1912

If you could forward this to your IT department or send me contact
information for them, I would appreciate it.

Mail from your server is not lost, it is delayed 1 day while waiting for
review. If it is found to not be spam, the recipient has the option to
recover the message. If they do not recover it in 14 days, it is purged from
the system.

I understand that mail from your server is not spam and is legitimate
business email. But our spam filter cannot make that determination unless
the above so human intervention is involved to complete delivery to the
final recipient.

After my signiture is a message with the full headers for you to review.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter,
Kevin Bilbee
Network Administrator
Standard Abrasives, Inc.

I have had great results in getting legitimate admins to fix there setups my
biggest problem is with admins in China and admins that think it is a
security risk for their firewall to have these entries. I also had our
international department review the email so as not offend people in other
countries with harsh language.

Kevin Bilbee