Recently, I attempted to add a WHITELIST entry to the Global.cfg, but
accidently mistyped "whitelist".

This appeared to cause the entire .cfg file to stop working and effectively
let all mail through unfiltered.

That is quite unusual -- I'm not sure how a typo like that could prevent Declude JunkMail from working. If it sees a line "WHITLIST IP 192.0.2.25", it would think that you are defining a test named "WHITLIST", and just add a warning to the log file.

To prevent this in the future, I was wondering if there's a way to reference
a separate whitelist sender file in Global.cfg, similar to how a sender
blacklist file can be configured.

This can be done with the new WHITELISTFILE option in 1.75 -- it isn't listed in the manual yet (soon!), but searching the Declude JunkMail mailing list archives for WHITELISTFILE should bring up references to it.

Also, is there any updates in the works to prevent one bad config line from
wrecking the system?

Yes -- we've been doing that for years. :)

If you can send me the config file (or line) that was causing this problem, we can investigate to see why it happened. If you don't have it anymore, unfortunately there isn't much that we can do.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.