I'm at my wits end to solve a problem which has coincided with the release of Imail 8.02 and/or the Sobig.F virus, but it may just be a coincidence. Several of my users' messages and replies to an armful of recipients are bouncing with varying causes, usually this:

"Unknown host: <email_address>"

Have you tried BounceFinder from http://www.declude.com/tools ? If you go to a command prompt, go to the spool directory, and type "BoundFinder sys0911.txt +email_address", it will show all bounces involving email_address.

And one or two with this:

"This address no longer accepts mail."

This one means just that -- the recipient no longer accepts E-mail. This is a problem on the remote end.

A check with the companies and individuls involved reveals that the recipients are having no problems receiving messages from anyone else. Ipswitch support claims no responsibility or knowledge of the cause except to say that it is the other guy's server rejecting it.

In this last case, it almost certainly is.

INTERESTING NOTE: I've had some success sending messages to the problem addresses in this form: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] whereas normally it would just be <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sound like DNS? We don't have an in-house DNS server, but use our ISPs. This problem has just added a couple new hostnames, all of which are business hostnames.

There have been a number of cases in previous versions of IMail where IMail would skip over a valid MX record and use the A record, which sounds like it *could* be what you are experiencing. Have you checked the IMail SMTP or SMTP- log file entries, to see if IMail is sending to an IP address that appears in the MX record?

Also, you should take some of the E-mail addresses that you can't send to, and use the Mail Test at http://www.DNSreport.com to see if there are problems with the domain.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you have been missing: Ask for a free 30-day evaluation.