I actually missed a whole bunch of stuff that also would have FP'd on this.  Cox in many cases and Earthlink among others are blocking outbound port 25, so customers using these services for access which are mailing to other customers on my server would FP on both the SPAMDOMAINS and MAILFROM filters.  Cable and DSL providers at times have had large segments of their networks blacklisted for continuing problems with spam, so they can produce a score.  If I was having problems with self addressed spam getting through, I would probably think about using this to add a few points like Andrew suggested, but some of the FP's produced would be problematic with a few regular senders that fail multiple technical tests.

Matt

Matthew Bramble wrote:
Bill,

It depends on your customer makup.  My FP rate with a MAILFROM filter would be close to 90% if not more because of several sites that are configured to send form submissions as being an account from the same domain.  SPAMDOMAINS would be a better test because the Web sites and domain based E-mail often shares the same reverse DNS lookup, but not in cases where they are just using aliases for forwarding.  I have several customers that have software that sends out automated messages claiming to be from their own domains, such as firewalls and the like, and then I have some customers with sites hosted in different facilities that forge the From address for ecommerce.  All of this is before you get the refer-a-friend and gift card stuff.  I see all of this with less than 250 actual accounts and just 50 domains hosted on my server at present.

If you don't do a lot of Web hosting, you might not see much of a problem, or if you do hosting for sites without forms configured in that way, you also wouldn't notice it.  I personally don't want to be whitelisting E-mail as the result of being alerted to the problem by a customer that rightfully assumed that the From address should be their own when setting up a script on a Web site.  Spam that forges the from address is likely to fail many technical tests because forging isn't generally limited to the from address, typically they forge the HELO and screw many other things up in the headers.  I almost never get spam that passes the filters that uses my own address anymore.

As my own sample of FP's seen in the last 5,000 or so messages would be the following:

- Used Vehicle Inquiry - [name removed] (about 20 of these)
- New Vehicle Inquiry - [name removed] (about 20 of these)
- Parts Inquiry - [name removed] (about 5 of these)
- Website Contact Form (2 of these)
- New firmware available. (1 of these, sent from a SonicWall)
- From your friend: [name removed] (2 of these sent through SendAFriend)
- Internet Order # [numbers] (3 of these)

In addition to these there are GM and Mazda corporate Internet lead notifications that fake the from address as the address they are sending them to (these have problems with these poorly configured servers).  Again though, depending on your customer makup, your mileage may vary.  SPAMDOMAINS would have not FP'd on a few of the first 4 examples because they are locally hosted on the same domain as the receiver, but would have FP'd on MAILFROM..  Everything else would have FP'd on both tests.

Matt

Bill Landry wrote:
We whitelist the IP address of any system we permit to relay through our IMail server, and all of our customer either use SMTP Auth or we whitelist their IP address space.  So the only time we have see a problem is with some mailing lists and e-card services, which we accommodate via filtering.

As a quick test, I separated out my hosted domains from the SPAMDOMAINS file and created a new spamdomains test called FORGED-DOMAINS.  Here are the subjects of the messages I have flagged with this test within the past 5 minutes:

      2 Subject: Complimentary 30 Day Supply of Phentermine!
      1 Subject: [NAME WITHHELD] Where to deposit your Payroll?
      1 Subject: Someone wants to date you
      1 Subject: Self-paced degree programs for busy adults
      1 Subject: Please claim your gift
      1 Subject: Lowest Mortgage Rates in 45 Years!
      1 Subject: Get a Proven Anti - Aging Creme at No Charge
      1 Subject: Credit Relief
      1 Subject: Complimentary 30 Day Supply of Phentermine!
      1 Subject: Absolutely Free, CostsNothing, FreeAir Tickets
      1 Subject: 4 F r e e Airline Tickets + $100 Cash Back
      1 Subject: 3 months of FREE Satellite TV
      1 Subject: 0% Auto Loans!
      1 Subject:  you are *approved already. No credit check

Looks like a very effective test to me.

Bill