Josh,

>From that RFC:
The IESG notes that this mechanism makes use of the .local top-level domain (TLD) internally when handling host names that don't contain any dots, and that this mechanism might not work in the expected way should an actual .local TLD ever be registered.
Probably safe, but by no means assured at this point.

Matt