It's a novel idea, and I have been thinking about how to best integrate other ANTI-filters for such things, but there is always a danger of crediting back points for something that isn't verifiably going to fail such a test. Worse yet, this one X-Mailer header will no doubt be copied by spammers being that it is a popular app (unlike the OWA headers).

There is no way to build a test that I can think of which verifies the missing header (if that was possible), and only then credits back the points for it being Outlook 2003. There is however a way to turn off SPAMHEADERS from checking for a missing Message ID:

LOOSENSPAMHEADERS ON

Unfortunately, I believe that's the majority of the hits with this filter. I have it turned off because of a common enough issue where a missing Message ID also comes with an IP for a host name, and it's not properly bound in brackets, and this causes it to fail both BADHEADERS and SPAMHEADERS.

FYI, I score SPAMHEADERS and BADHEADERS low, though primarily for different reasons. I can't remember though seeing any spam that got through which failed SPAMHEADERS scored at only about 40% of my fail weight, and I've been monitoring a bunch. Seems that spammers are getting better at constructing headers, and those that aren't so good are also messing up in countless other ways. In the meantime, companies like Microsoft are releasing non-RFC compliant clients which will trip BADHEADERS when you send a message without a To address, MDaemon can't get a time stamp right in their Web mail (except in 9 Pacific Ocean time zones), and countless Web site mailers will munge the headers worse than many offending spammers. In a big mix of filters, these are quite effective, but not at all reliable enough to be failing on IMO. And naturally the disclaimer of your mileage may vary, and certainly the opinions will vary even more.

Matt

DLAnalyzer Support wrote:

Is anyone else compensating for this with a filter?
HEADERS -3 CONTAINS X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0
Has anyone else seen any different builds? The build below should be the release build.
Darrell
Check Out DLAnalyzer a comprehensive reporting tool for
Declude Junkmail Logs - http://www.dlanalyzer.com

R. Scott Perry writes:

Good morning, I just started using Outlook 2003 and I am now failing the Spamheader test with code Code: 4000020e. The E-mail failed the SPAMHEADERS test.

This is due to a bug in Outlook 2003 -- I'm not aware of a Microsoft fix for it yet.