So, I took the learning that I gained from Bill and Scot and Chuck and a
couple more of you, and I have been teaching myself more about unxutils.
And, in another part of my mind, I'm looking at discussions on the Sniffer
list about leveraging power from Sniffer by using the result codes to be
aggressive with weighting. Seems good, because I'm reading about losing
easynet and I'm already falling behind in my war.

So what, you ask, what is he going on about this time? Good question. I'll
cut to the chase:

I ran something like:

grep "failed SNIFFER:" g:\imail\spool\dec1116.log | cut -d "(" -f 2 | cut -d
")" -f 1 | tr -d "." | usort | uniq -c

Just for fun. And I get this:

     43 Message failed SNIFFER: 47
    103 Message failed SNIFFER: 48
      7 Message failed SNIFFER: 49
     46 Message failed SNIFFER: 50
      3 Message failed SNIFFER: 51
    615 Message failed SNIFFER: 52
    197 Message failed SNIFFER: 54
      2 Message failed SNIFFER: 55
     31 Message failed SNIFFER: 56
    122 Message failed SNIFFER: 57
    191 Message failed SNIFFER: 58
     16 Message failed SNIFFER: 59
     19 Message failed SNIFFER: 60
     34 Message failed SNIFFER: 61
    109 Message failed SNIFFER: 62
    191 Message failed SNIFFER: 63

So far so good. Here's where I need help: what I really need now isn't this
list at all, what I really need is to somehow correlate this information
with the total weights on the messages that SNIFFER finds, because that's
going to help me.

I have a boatload of spam, more and more everyday, that fails SNIFFER,
getting those messages held, but which doesn't trip enough other tests to
get the messages deleted. Losing ip4r tests, as we have been, loses some of
that extra value, so I wonder what categories of SNIFFER failures generate
HOLDs that I end up manually deleting. I'm sorry, I think I'm talking in
circles, but I think it's a circular problem.

It feels like we're headed to a time [soon] when we'll have content
analysis, and manually crafted blacklists, and joint/private efforts at
blacklists, and nothing else in the arsenal.

Thanks for listening, see you next week.
--

John Shacklett

www.continentaloffice.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

They say that genius is 99 percent perspiration and 1 percent inspiration.
Then again, so is mowing the lawn.