Anyone testing the Message Sniffer add-in to Declude should consider
testing with the new wide-beta version V2-2b. You can download this
version from our news/updates page at:

http://www.sortmonster.com/MessageSniffer/NewsUpdates.html

The top news item describes the program in more detail. What is probably
most relevant about this new version is that the peer-server technology
significantly reduces resource use under high system loads. This
development addresses recent discussions about the high cost of body
filters. Message Sniffer's advanced pattern matching engine makes body
filters practical - but recent growth in the size of the rulebase file
(more than 27000 active rules) has caused problems on some system.

If you have tried Message Sniffer in the past and been concerned about
the additional CPU, I/O, and RAM use then you should be pleased with the
new version.

We are consistently achieving the following results with this new
version:

90K+ Msgs/Mo.
Win NT4, P2/450Mhz, 256M ram, Mirrored 4GB IDE HD.
Imail 6x, Declude, McAfee
Rule Strength Threshold 0.1 (See Live Statistics on our site).
Average CPU = 40%

Prior to V2-2b, our Rule Strength Threshold was 0.7 and our average CPU
was 70%.

(Reduced Rule Strength Threshold = many more active rules)

Under load, the first message processed by a cluster of active Message
Sniffer instances will take a combined 700-1100ms (on this system).
Subsequent messages processed by the same group typically take a
combined 60ms or less. (Based on recent log data).

How it works:

Briefly, when a single instance is active the program operates very much
as the current version of Message Sniffer. However, when the system
becomes heavily loaded and multiple instances are active, the
peer-server technology causes the active instances to cluster into
client-server groups. The server instance loads the rulebase and handles
the expensive tasks while the client instances quietly wait for their
messages to be scanned. The result is much higher throughput without a
signficant increase in system resource use.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,
_M

Pete McNeil (Madscientist)
President, MicroNeil Research Corporation
Chief SortMonster, www.SortMonster.com
VOX: 703-406-2016
FAX: 703-406-2017