I recommend a simple scheme of simple characters and escape sequences.
Borrowing from our Message Sniffer rule coding, how about _ as a space,
and if you really need the _ character itself then you use \_. Then you
also have to use \\ when you want the \, but that's a small price to pay
and it's easy to code.

Just a thought.
_M