I have a customer who was having trouble with his messages sent to users on servers that use spam filters not being delivered. I had him send a message to me so I could see what tests it fails. As some of you may have already guessed, he's got a new pc with Outlook 2003 and the messages fail the spam headers test. I informed him that among mail server and/or spamfilter administrators this is a known issue. So, he calls MS. MS says it's OEM software, call the vendor. Dell says I'm full of it.

So...

Would someone with more thorough and better understanding than mine please send me something (with permission to quote or I'd just lift from archives) that I can send to this customer? I'm looking for what it is that Outlook 2003 does wrong and what RFC it is not conforming to. He wants to then show it to Dell and request an exchange for Office 2002.

It's really a Microsoft issue (it's a bug -- er, "new feature" -- in Outlook 2003), but they may have a special arrangement with Dell. Microsoft had a few complaints from people using Outlook that their machine name was "leaked" in the Message-ID header. Instead of ignoring the complaint, or making the host name used in the Message-ID: header configurable, they chose to remove the Message-ID: header.

Microsoft is technically RFC-compliant, *if* they understand the consequences of what they did. In order words, it is only RFC-compliant if accept the fact that the E-mail sent from Outlook 2003 may be marked as spam.

Microsoft's position, from what we understand, is that they expect all mailservers to whitelist outgoing E-mail from Outlook 2003 users, and add the Message-ID: header.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.