Matt:

Thanks for your insight.  I have been trying for two years to get in Front of the Spam
curve but have found it to be an ever changing landscape which is hard to stay on top
of.  We have seen our Spam load increase at least 10 fold in the past two years.  The
challenge is that we have seen our legitimate email customers increase significantly
also in that period of time and I feel the number one objective is to deliver the
legitimate mail to them.

Every time we add a spam test it also increases the false positives.  It has gotten to
the point where we need to counterweight some of the known issues.  I prefer a
counterweight (negative filter value) to out and out whitelisting.  I believe
whitelisting by email address or domain should be a last resort.

I agree with much of what you have stated (the parts I do not fully agree with are
simply because I have not fully studied it yet).  Programmatic filtering we have been
using Spamchk for two months now and have been very happy with the results - it has
probably moved us to the high 90% in eliminating spam.

One thing I see as that certain test cause more false positives than others.
Spamdomains is an example of a test that I am strongly thinking of dropping - it
probably causes more false positives than any other tests.  Too many times people
sending legitimate emails use a reply to address that is not the same domain as they
are sending from.  So I would like to use more programmatic filtering and
counterbalances to get 99% rejection (we are there) and less than .3 % FP - (we are
not there).

Chuck Schick