Scott,

I've been looking over this trying to figure out how to best implement it for my domains. It seems that since they are all on one class C, I should do the following:

v=spf1 +a/24 +mx/24 -all

Now three very important questions...

1) If I implement this, will intra-server E-mail fail this test? i.e. local mail customer at client IP 123.123.123.123 E-mail's me, where 123.123.123.123 is not a local address, but the address of the border router at the client's location.

2) When my clients who are SMTP blocked by their ISP (port 25), and forced to use their ISP's mail server, am I correct in assuming that this will fail?

3) If the answer is yes to either one of these, does this make more sense to implement against HELO instead of MAILFROM? This would seem to be more problematic than SPAMDOMAINS if it operates on MAILFROM, even if local domains could be excluded. Naturally, I might not be understanding this fully. If I changed the test to +all in order to prevent these issues (if real), then it seems that it would only be useful as a negative weight test when my data is used.

Thanks,

Matt

R. Scott Perry wrote:

We will be adding support for SPF ("Sender Permitted From", at http://spf.pobox.com ) to the next beta of Declude JunkMail. This is a system that lets owners of domains publish information on what mailservers people can use to send mail from the domain. We expect that this can be very useful in blocking spam (similar to the SPAMDOMAINS test), as well as helping ensure that legitimate mail gets through.

http://spf.pobox.com/dns.html covers how to add an SPF record for your own domain. At its simplest, if all your E-mail is coming from your mailserver, and your mailserver is listed in your MX record, you would add a TXT record of "v=spf1 +mx -all" for your domain. The SPF records always start with "v=spf1"; the "+mx" means that any E-mail from an IP listed in your MX records is good, and the "-all" is a default so that any other E-mail is bad.

The SPF system is much, much more flexible than the SPAMDOMAINS test, and it lets domain owners control the settings (which allows them to be much more accurate). If widely implemented, it will make it much more difficult for spammers to get their spam delivered.

-Scott

--- [This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus (http://www.declude.com)]