> ... Then execute this script:
> egrep "SMTPD.*\.SMD" m:\imail\spool\sys0203.txt | gawk -f
> IMail-SMTPD.txt
>
> Which will produce output like:
> SMTPD: Min = 263b   Avg = 50.8899kb   Max = 11.7192mb   Tot =
> 356.627mb

Ok, great script, but one question:
As I can understand this script will read values from the logfile that
indicate message sizes. So the min and max values are not minimum and
maximum bits per second (for which time range? 5 minutes?) but are the
smallest and largest processed messages in this logfile. This has nothing to
do with maximum bandwith usage!

The average value can also be calculated with delog: Read the total incoming
or outgoing bytes at the end of the report and divide them by the factor
10800
This will transform the units from Bytes/day in Bits/second (the common used
unit for this type of data)

So a total incoming trafic of 1 GB/day will create an average bandwith usage
of 92592 Bits/second (~ 92 kBit/s) for the entire day. (note: this is only
the incoming value)

Based on the data in the SMTP logfile it's not possible to calculate the
real peak value or real traffic usage diagrams because even if you calculate
every single message from his begin of transfer to the end this will be only
an average value for this single message (the transfer rate can go up and
down durring the transfer of a singel message).

You can try to watch windows perfmon values or enable SNMP on this windows
server. Alternatively you can put a SNMP enabled device like HPs Procurve
switches between your server and the router and then read out values from
there.

Markus