I know that I’m coming into this late and I’m a little confused about much of this discussion.  I don’t see how it’s possible to get better performance by aggregating all of the disks and then partitioning them out.  This will still create contention when more than one partition is needed because they are on the same spindles.

I always thought the rule was to separate logical processes across separate spindles whenever possible and practical.  This would mean that multiple RAID sets would be faster when allocating a RAID set to each of the following separately:

Windows system

Swap file (or even multiple swap files on multiple RAID sets)

Imail system

Logging

Webmail/calendaring

Now this would get expensive, but we are discussing performance here, right?

Going back to the SCSI vs. SATA price/performance issue:

I have used SCSI for many moons and they are rock solid, but very expensive.  However, I usually end up replacing a drive every couple of years.  So my definition of rock solid is “no data loss” and “not more than one dead drive each year”.  That’s acceptable to me.  Besides, I can have RAID keep a hot spare to auto-rebuild the array and then I can hot replace the dead drive to become a new hot spare.  It seems that SATA controllers and drives can now give me this level of reliability.  And we have already agreed to the SATA performance being virtually equal to SCSI performance.

Now it just sounds like SCSI bigotry.  Kind of like the *nix people bashing the M$ people.

Todd Holt

Xidix Technologies, Inc

Las Vegas, NV USA

702.319.4349