I've been planing on trying this for about a week now, and I'm still not convinced that it will work.  From my standpoint though, this represents a good way to remove a tad bit more processing and maintain a system to be shared on multiple servers without having to update text files.

This idea originally came from my desire to qualify two pieces of information when whitelisting.  Using this technique, you could effectively whitelist without fear of forging, though of course the possibility would still exist.  You could credit messages that pass such a test such as from amazon.com, coming from an amazon.com reverse DNS entry, and that would be much stronger than systems like BondedSener which relies only on the IP, where servers can still be hijacked or infected.  This is also a much more efficient way to credit messages than to maintain long lists of whitelist address and as above, it's a good format for a distributed system with multiple scanning servers that can be updated in real-time.

My biggest wish though is that both the To: address and the Reply-To: address were exposed through variables and filters, because that would allow me to apply credit to things that use VERP and also put it in DNS instead of using body or header filters to do the dirty work.

Matt

Sanford Whiteman wrote:
Using the dnsbl type of test and a custom zone, you could extend this
through DNS.  For instance:

MPBL-SPAMDOMAINS   dnsbl    %REVDNS%.%RHSBL%.spamdomains.example.com
    127.0.0.2    4    0

Interesting  idea,  Matt.  Still  way  too much management compared to
SPF-compatible    formatting,    though.   The   ability   to   append
._spf.example.com  to  SPF  queries,  or use the SPFDOMAINS text list,
would be a lot easier.

--Sandy

------------------------------------
Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange Addresses into IMail Aliases!
  http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.
http://www.mailpure.com/software/