A spot for filter downloads is an excellent idea.

Kami has also posted his filters or an address to them in the mailing list.
The bulk of my filters are based from the MailPure filters or Kami's.
The Mailpure beta filters (don't use the old ones unless you have to) are very good
filters to learn from.

Scott Fisher
Director of IT
Farm Progress Companies

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/04/04 03:33PM >>>
> My question:  does everyone run them "stock" or are there particular
> configs / settings / etc., that people are implementing to make
> Declude even more effective than it is out of the box?

Run them stock until you know what to change, then change only
one thing at a time.  That way you can tell what suddenly stopped all
your legitimate mail from getting through.  :)

I sure don't run them stock, partly because I use a different weight
level so I can get more granular.  We add a SPAM subject at 10,
move to a SPAM mailbox at 20, hold at 40 and delete at 60, but it's
because that's the way our filters are tuned.  And it's not perfect, we
have to tweak the filters to keep the latest round of SPAM at bay.

We also use various filter tests we've designed or "borrowed" from
others.  Most of those are developed based on messages in this list,
or due to new filters which are added.

That said, I don't think there could ever be a "one size fits all" config.
We're a municipal government and have different email patterns
than an ISP would for example.  We have virtually no legitimate mail
coming from China or Korea, so we weight mail passing through
those countries heavily.  A company with clients in Asia would lose
business if they ran our filters.

The botoom line is you'll need to develop your own filters, but there
are quite a few examples that are good for starting posted in this
list.

> Is there anywhere to download people's various config's (ie. a page
> where they are posted and shared) or could someone either post what
> they think is key or make specific recommendations as to what to
> tweak?

I'd love a place to post filters and configs, I'm not sure an email list
is the best place, but now that Declude has a huge amount of
financial backing (vbg) perhaps a download site for customer-written
filters or a forum where they could be shared could be made
available.  Several users have posted their filters in various
locations, most notably the MailPure set (Mailpure.com, listed on the
Declude web site under Free Web Tools...).

Other than that, check the mail list archives for examples when
you're considering a new filter.

Jeff