> In my further reading that's what I thought was the case but
> wanted to confirm. At one time there appeared to be talk of
> an enhancement to the HOLD feature to specify the place where
> messages were held. Disk I/O takes a huge hit when we process
> the /spool/spam folder every hour. It would be nice to dump
> that off to a separate volume.

This is one reason.
Another one is, that if we can have an enhanced HOLD action able to

A.) MOVE certain messages to configurable folders
B.) COPY certain messages to configurable folders

this would allow us several new things. For example:

1.) If you're an ISP Admin: Do you know what's happening near below your
hold threshold?
It would be very interesting to watch for a limited time range what's going
on between 80 and 99% of the HOLD weight. There you would find most of the
spam messages passing your filters. And so find also best indicators to
improve your filters.

2.) Do you maintain a personal filter file and want to know which type of
messages it's failing (and also why) ?
With an enhanced COPY action it would be possible to collect a copy of all
messages failing a certain test in a separate folder.

3.) ALERT!!! There are some new suspiciuos messages out that looks very
strange. You can identify it by filtering the header for "xyz" but you can't
realy do it because your server is processing thousands of messages per hour
and you can't stop delivery. Maybe filtering for "xyz" would catch also
legit messages but you can't know it at the moment.
What a great help would be such a COPY action. Just copy some of this
messages in a separate folder. Analyze it. Modify the filter, Analyze again.
Find the solution. Fast, efficient, simple and VERY VERY helpfull.

As you said this is a "waaaaaay old thread" but it doesn't look like there
will be any news in the future. :-(

Markus