> Each company is different and therefore so are their needs.

Okay, but _Rick's_ needs are SOX compliance. I don't have any interest
in  discussing  general archiving methods; to each his/her own in that
effort.

> Many  that archive will never need to go through the data, primarily
> because  many  companies aren't so enormous that they have the legal
> liability  nor  the  volume  that  would  necessitate  a  preemptive
> indexing of content.

I do not believe you are speaking from experience.

> I  would  consider  it  to be unrealistic to demand that a full text
> indexing be done of file attachments. . .

That's nice, but it's not your choice. Regulators demand prompt, often
overnight,  responses  to  search  requests (sometimes many concurrent
requests).  Do  not  think  for  a minute that "unrealistic" is the IT
staff's trump card against compliance.

This  is  not  as  simple  as  you think it is, but that's understable
because  you've  evidently  never  been  under the gun of a SOX or SEC
investigation.  Three  of  our  clients  have  been through the latter
(cleared,  I  might  add,  but now with double the liability insurance
premium,  probably  forever). Two of these companies have less than 50
employees, and one has four full-timers.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/
  http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/