Dean Lawrence wrote:

I host mail for a number of my clients, so there may be a period of
time where they cannot get to their mail. I would like to minimize
this. I had thought about just turning off the old server once the DNS
changes have been made so that no mail would be lost in translation,

A few days before the move, change the TTL on the existing DNS records to something very short. That way, once you change the IP address, there's a better chance that the "fresh" data will go out.

but I had also thought about converting it to a store and forward
server so that the mail will get delivered to the new server quicker.

Not a bad idea, either.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!
-- Rudyard Kipling, "tommy"
Bud Durland, CNE                                   Mold-Rite Plastics
Network Administrator                           http://www.mrpcap.com

[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Virus / Sophos AV]