> The users causing the problem do not have an exchange tab in AD Users &
> Computers.  There is an email field that is blank though.

(Sorry  for  the  delay.)  This  is  very  suspicious and points to AD
corruption,   or   at   the  very  least  an  aberrant  procedure  for
enabling/disabling  Exchange  users. A user who was never known to, or
who has been removed from, the Exchange organization will not have any
proxyAddresses  at  all  if  you  are using standard management tools.

Perhaps  a  home-brewed  VBScript  has been used that unlinks the user
from  Exchange mailboxes and address lists, but which fails to perform
the  essential  function  of  removing proxyAddresses, instead leaving
empty or dummy values? If you use the standard Exchange tools ('Remove
Exchange  Attributes')  and  get  an  'OK'  result,  or just never add
someone  to  Exchange,  proxyAddresses _cannot_ be populated, so you'd
never see the errors you've reported.

I'd  be happy to look at this further via Remote Desktop; in fact, I'd
prefer that to tweaking the script for such a strange setup.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.mailmage.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/