BondedSender has created a bit of a habit of protecting places that have spam problems or are even what many of us would consider to be spammers. While Pete tends to think that I am too liberal in my definition of good E-mail, the folks at BondedSender (IronPort) believe that I am way too conservative. I have reported things to them on multiple occasions and they have mostly kept the customers bonded, however they have made some tweaks.

For instance, they kept Virtumundo(dot)com on, but only if they agreed to only send HotMail accounts E-mail from their bonded address.

BigHip(dot)com, another clear spammer that befuddles me as to how they ever got bonded. I believe they removed them.

SmartBlast(dot)net they refused to remove because I wouldn't ask my customer if they had subscribed to their list. They were getting multiple E-mails every day with subjects like "Nike Blowout - Everything 60% Off from Exclusive Brand", "Awareness Bracelets by Avaline" and "You can only get them here! New USB Pen and Wireless Mouse". SmartBlast was sending through SubscriberMail(dot)com.

They have also bonded places like IceBase(dot)net which is one of the many bulk-mail providers that cater to small businesses, and often have issues with spam. From this and other similar companies, the rate of spam is about 25% to 50%. They can't police their users proactively, so I don't know why in the world you would want to bond them.

They have bonded Topica in the past. If you know anything about Topica, they also operate their own spam house operation, and they provide bulk-mailing services to spammers. They have even been blacklisted by SBL.

I have even found a goth-teen-pseudo-porn site listed, suicidegirls(dot)com. While they don't spam, what was happening was they were offering incentives to their members to bring in more customers, and as a result one of their members had spammed from a different server, but blacklists will often target the payload network and not just the spammer, so I suppose they had issues with being blacklisted.

http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchBy=ipaddress&searchString=209.237.248.37

I could go on and on, but the bottom line with BondedSender is that the people that seek out protection are doing so primarily because they have problems. Most places with problems being blacklisted suffer from the fact that spam (according to almost all definitions) comes from their networks. I don't use BondedSender, and I have suggested in the past that Declude rethink their choice of including BondedSender in their default setup.

IronPort is a peculiar company building bulk-mail servers that are sometimes used by spam operations, but they also sell anti-spam appliances. They own SpamCop, SenderBase, and of course BondedSender. I absolutely love SenderBase and greatly appreciate having that tool, and SpamCop is certainly a top 10 resource on my system, but I really take issue with BondedSender and if anything, things have gotten worse with time rather than better.

Matt

Kim Premuda wrote:

I seem to get a fair number of messages that 'fail' both BONDEDSENDER and
SNIFFER:

TLD-TRUSTED-HELO [0], TLD-TRUSTED-MAILFROM [0], TLD-TRUSTED-REVDNS [0] TOTAL
[10]

Both tests are supposed to be highly trusted/accurate, so how do you resolve
such diametrically opposed weightings? Who wins?

-- Kim W. Premuda FastWave Internet Services San Diego, CA