Well, John.  I'm sure that's a rhetorical question, but I'm feeling a
little chatty while I listen to hold music.

SpamCop and pretty well every other blacklisting service make no
allowance for how much good mail is coming from an IP address.  They
only do blacklisting.

The funny thing is that since IronPort now owns SpamCop.net, you'd think
that they could use the statistics that they expose at SenderBase.org to
adjust the weighting mechanism that SpamCop uses.

I'm sure that

a) AOL isn't perfect, and spam does come from some accounts,
b) Automated (and semi-automated) listing mechanisms like SpamCop will
impede traffic
c) AOL is the ISP that everyone loves to hate.  SpamCop users may well
go ahead and
   and report suspicious emails.
d) Spam and virus blowblack needs to be carefully weeded out by ISPs so
that they
   don't get listed by sending unexpected responses to forged addresses.

It's been said by wiser heads, but I'll say it again for folks without
John's depth of experience:  Don't weigh individual tests high enough to
be caught by a single false positive.  That likely means that you will
get some spam in, but that's preferable to blocking mail that you
shouldn't.

I've been burned by multiple ip4r tests blocking ISPs, and have
counterweighted those mail servers accordingly.  That also means that
I'm more likely to get spam.

I'll also add that false positives in blacklisting has made content
inspection much more important to me.  Mail Sniffer from SortMonster.com
helps me out a huge amount, and has taken away much of my burden for
maintaining my own filter text files.

A SURBL lookup like invIURIBL from invariantsystems.com or via
spamassassin would certainly help out too (but I'm not there yet).

Andrew 8)