From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: June 7, 2005 11:27 AM
To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] X-RBL-Warning // Whitelisted but not

Just a little follow up about this.

The first E-mail appears to be sent from your server in some sort of automated fashion (denoted by the GSC extension on the Q file).  These are either postmaster messages, or some message created by calling imail1.exe directly (probably some bulk-mail script in this case, maybe even the listserv).  It comes from the address [EMAIL PROTECTED] and was sent to a long list of addresses (too long for IMail not to throw an error).  It was whitelisted on the way out.

Then, one of the addresses on attglobal.net that it is sent to is apparently forwarding back to [EMAIL PROTECTED].  It is natural that it gets scanned coming back in, creating a second set of headers and a different spool file name.  Your logs show the connecting hop as 32.97.166.48 which is in8.prserv.net and is used by AT&T for sending/forwarding E-mail.

The E-mail was being blocked because of a combination of primarily two things.  First, your DNS setup was initially not allowing your server to resolve your own MX records causing a failure in the MAILFROM test when this came in from the other server with a Mail From domain of ute-sei.org.  Secondly, you are using MXRATE-BLOCK which has issues with tagging legitimate servers with high volume that allow forwarding (and some that are just simply high volume).  To this blacklist, when spam is received by an AT&T hosted account that is then forwarded to an account on a different provider's machine that is sourced for data to generate MXRATE-BLOCK, it ends up tagging the forwarding server instead of the actual source.  I stopped using MXRATE because of their issues with such things, in addition to them tagging a lot of legitimate bulk-mail that many blacklists have issues with and I didn't want to compound such issues further on my system.  I don't know what you score MXRATE-BLOCK at, but you might consider dropping the score a bit if you weight it heavily

Matt

Matt wrote:

Susan Duncan wrote:

That still doesn’t explain why someone who is whitelisted still has some of their email caught.

That's not the issue, they aren't actually both happening at the same time.  It's being double scanned, and it is only being whitelisted when it is being sent, but not when it is received (over one minute later according to your logs).  The full headers should have showed the complete path that the E-mail took and it would be easier to diagnose if they were shared (the Received lines).  I'm thinking that maybe this E-mail was sent from your server to an address on another server that was actually forwarded back to her address on your server.  That's the only way that I can think of that would generate two different spool file names, and cause it to be scanned twice by Declude in this way; adding headers each time.

MailPure custom filters for Declude JunkMail Pro.
http://www.mailpure.com/software/