From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Orin Wells
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 9:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Declude.JunkMail] OT - Losing DNS connectivity

At 07:50 PM 8/21/2005, Colbeck, Andrew wrote:
Orin, you've probably already licked the problem by now,

Not certain.  For all of Saturday and most of today we couldn't keep the DNS link for more than an hour. I am crossing my fingers right now as we are into the second hour here.  I am not ready to celebrate.  We did throw about every tool we could find at the problem.  It is amazing how many one will see that the other skip right over. What I don't know is how some of them seem to continue to infect after they are cleared.  But the logs are starting to look "normal" again.

 but I'll point out that since you posted this, there have been other reports of this infection,

I tried to find any and was not successful.  The only one I found didn't seem relevant.  As with all searches you have to know the right question to ask to get the good hits.  Maybe I didn't.

and just as all roads lead to Rome, all Google searches lead to:

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32tilebotj.html

Yes, that sounds like one of the buggers.  Found Aug 18th would explain how none of the tools I have used saw it other than NetShield but it never got rid of it entirely.  In fact, it is still there.

The upshot being that you either got the infection before you patched against the P2P vulnerability,

I think this is it.

or someone else on your network has been trojaned and the bot was instructed to infect your computer(s) via NT shares with a weak password.

The Advanced page on that Sophos link will be handy, as it shows what registry settings the bot was has likely mucked with on your server.

When it is "running" (orans) you can't get rid of these things.

Luckily for you, it seems that orans.sys never got a foothold, as that is the module that would act as the backdoor for the "new 0wner".

No foothold, but I can't seem to eradicate it yet.  I will keep at it until I find something that does it.

Andrew 8)