Updating for a network of 100 machines is a different story, but when running one copy on a Declude server, there is no advantage to using FTP. Over a year ago, the updater service would hang when F-Prot's servers were overwhelmed. This was just bad programming on their part, and I haven't seen this happen since then. I have the updater service run once a day. The command line updater is a different story. When setting it up in Task Scheduler, you can set a time limit for it if it hangs. 5 minutes should be plenty. If it has ever hung I don't know because I have never noticed one issue with this. I run it every 30 minutes.

Matt

Tyran Ormond wrote:

I disagree that using the updater app is a better solution over using FTP scripts (yes, I'm current on licensing).

I have 100 machines running fprot and every machine updates four times daily. I have one machine set to download the definitions via an FTP script and then all the other machines on the network use the updater app to update using the FTP'd definitions. This cuts down on traffic for everyone involved and has increased the reliability of my definition update schedule, until the first time the defs disappeared from the server last week that is.