At 12:29 PM 8/31/2005, Dave Beckstrom wrote:
> Aren't they authenticating to Imail, and aren't you white listing
> authenticated senders?

Well....that is another issue we are finally being forced to address.

In the first place we are still running iMail 7.07 - we weren't willing to pay what I considered to be overpriced upgarde fees. So we can't use the Whitelist Auth option.

We have a lot of users who know how to read their email, but not much more. So moving them up to full authentication was something we put off until we ran into ORDB finding that they could relay through the Root account even though it had a changed password and was disabled. That still bothers me, but that is the way it is.

We had relay for local user set and this had served us OK up to now. We now have to bite the bullet and force all the users to learn how to set the authentication option in their various email applications. It would have been handy if the manufacturers had all set this as a default, but they don't. They each seem to have it somewhere different from each of the others and like to change things from one version to the next. Especially Netscape. We are preparing to send a mass message to all accounts on this issue. I think most have been instructed over the past year or so to be prepared to do this so it may not be as bad as I fear.

As for whitelisting we have not done this with local domains because of the limitation on whitelisting in Declude (200) in the golobal.cfg file. We have not so far tried to use the domain level whitelist file.