>Am I to assume that the identifiers "SLOW server" and "FAST server" are
completely relative to the amount of CPU utilization?  For instance, I have
a very fast >server, but it does a ton of work and can experience high CPU
utilization, especially in spikes.  So is the trick here really just the CPU
load?

Correct

CPU Load is the key but one should also take into account the CPU speed.
e.g.. A SLOW server could be 800 Mhz with 256 MB ram. In which case you do
not want to be using a high thread count and you want to give the CPU
sufficient time between threads to do other things.

>It would seem wise to then just leave the settings set for a heavily loaded
server.

If that is your preference yes. We have not yet discovered the optimal
numbers as it does have to do a lot with the environment, server traffic,
load etc. So by adding these directives gives those who would like to tweak
the system the ability to do so.

David Barker
www.declude.com