From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent:
Saturday, September 24, 2005 3:40 PM
To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Beta 3.0.4.4 update 09/24/05A

John,

The idea regarding the restart is for decludeproc to handle the process itself.  Windows isn't always successful at restarting something, and sometimes things enter a bad state and you need something to actively monitor the process to make sure that it functions.

The old Declude doesn't have any regular operational issues with IMail stealing files (only happens when you restart the queue manager out of order with IMail SMTP).  If you look in the spool on IMail, you will see files named something like _D0A58F27011E822C.~MD.  I think that this is IMail that is locking the files while the D* file is being received.  If I am correct, old Declude places a lock on the Q* file (or maybe it's the D* file), and this is what keeps the IMail Queue Manager from stealing them.  The trick here is that if Declude crashes, the file should be released eventually, and Declude won't reprocess it unless Declude crashed when the file was in overflow.

When Declude takes either the D* or Q* file out of the spool, it has to take responsibility for handling the E-mail gracefully, and that includes recovery from errors.  It might have something in there already that handles this, but there is also the new issue of a crash in Declude stopping delivery until it is restarted, so decludeproc needs to be able to monitor and start the service.  Sniffer does something similar, but instead of restarting the service, it just continues to operate as a command line application.

I did test one of the E-mails that you provided and it was successfully processed by Declude 2.0.6.16, so the error appears to be new to the 3.0 versions as long as I can trust that the formating of these files was maintained accurately as it was passed to the list and received by me.

On a related note, it would be really, really helpful if we knew what types of things in Declude were modified when things go into a full release.  Knowing what areas might have been modified, such as maybe the message parsing routines, can help a great deal with troubleshooting.  I think that after more than a year under the new system we know well enough to expect that despite the best intentions, there are often issues, and I expect fully for this to continue.  E-mail is unbelievably important to many companies, even more so important than the telephone due to it's ability to transmit data.  If you interrupt that process it can cost people business, their jobs and it can even result in a lawsuit.  This isn't need-to-know information, it is absolutely necessary information that administrators have to know.  The community is fairly good as a whole at sharing this information, but we definitely don't detect every issue, or share every known issue.  I personally have a list that I am not bothering to share with Declude because they are busy dealing with much greater issues at the moment (supporting IMail 8.2+ users).

Matt

John Tolmachoff (Lists) wrote:

Matt, I have the Decludeproc set to restart in the services manager, so it does get restarted. However, everytime it would restart, it would try running the file again and crash and so on. In the mean time, all the other messages stacked up.

I have no problem having the OS restart the service each time. I do like the idea the files are moved out of the spool so that Imail can not touch them.

What I do like is your idea of renaming, and that could be done in the work folder. Once decludeproc starts to process a message in the work folder, it appends the extension to say .proc and then when finished renames it back. Then program decludeproc to not start processing a message that ends in .proc. That way, if decludeproc does crash and restart, it will not try to process the messages that end in .proc. You could then write a script that looks for .proc files in the work folder older than say 30 minutes and send a notice, or move them and then send a notice.

John T

eServices For You