Marc,

Sounds odd. There is a standardized header List-Unsubscribe which can contain a mailto and/or http tag for unsubscribing, and some people insert headers indicating that they don't spam and where to report it to, but that's almost always associated with services that have issues with passing a lot of spam. Neither of these things have any potential that I can see of stopping the issues with AOL.

AOL has issues that best practices can't fix. People clearly feel that they should just simply report unwanted E-mail as well as spam.

You should still make sure that best practices are being followed though. Agents sometimes seem to think that their COI includes any E-mail address that they have come across, and they seem to think that unsubscribe links are going to stop potential sales. I would require any E-mail bulk mailing by an agent that mentions anything to do with your company, especially it's domain name, to include an unsubscribe link, and also be required to honor those unsubscribes permanently. They should also be restricted to only including people with whom they have conducted business or otherwise been given permission to be added to such a list. The people that are reporting to AOL should obviously be removed. I would also suggest having these people use a third-party bulk-mail service, and never allow such things to pass through your own server.

For the value of this bulk mailing, it isn't worth it to have all of your E-mail or domain blacklisted by AOL. I personally have blacklisted a fair number of agents and their newsletters. One of my biggest peeves is the lack of an unsubscribe link in this stuff, but I generally don't blacklist them unless I see multiple copies across my customer base or see things like E-mail sent way outside of their territory. Pressing the flesh works far better than spamming people.

Matt

Marc Catuogno wrote:

I have an agent who is sending out a stupid e-mail letter every Friday.  I
have set up the AOL feedback loop and two to three people report her as spam
every week.  I don't know what AOL's tolerance is, but I really don't want
to get listed by them again.

SOMEONE at AOL told her this:

IT person - add a tool to header to notify use when mail list hits spam -
Anyone ever hear of such a thing??? If it is possible I'd like to set it up
before I tell her she can't send the messages anymore an piss off one of our
top agents.

Marc