Hi,

I have a SonicWALL firewall in front of my mail server. It has its
Intrusion Protection Service turned on. Now I am getting an alert from
the firewall:

11/05/2005 01:11:19.416 - Alert - Intrusion Prevention -        IPS
Prevention Alert: SMTP Content-Transfer-Encoding overflow attempt, SID:
743, Priority: Medium - 209.191.68.173,

Which points to:

209.191.68.173 PTR record: web34809.mail.mud.yahoo.com.

And when I look up the SMTP error this is what it says

The prescan() function in the address parser (parseaddr.c) in Sendmail
before 8.12.9 does not properly handle certain conversions from char and
int types, which can cause a length check to be disabled when Sendmail
misinterprets an input value as a special "NOCHAR" control value,
allowing attackers to cause a denial of service and possibly execute
arbitrary code via a buffer overflow attack using messages, a different
vulnerability than CAN-2002-1337.