Karl,

What would be best would be to set up a system for the review and reprocessing of false positives.  It would likely also help to add some external tests such as Sniffer so as to improve your spam blocking and rely less on single tests that could be contributing to your false positive issue.  Approaching this from the perspective of bouncing E-mail as a solution is to miss the essence of the real problem and create another one in it's place.  The fact that you both hold and bounce E-mail suggests that this is simply an issue with the practicality of reviewing what would otherwise get blocked.  Your perspective of this being the lesser of two evils is likely the result of not yet being blacklisted since their is no double that the same City Manager would yell even louder if he couldn't send E-mail to his friends and constituents than he would when missing E-mails from whack-job citizens.

If it is not within your abilities to procure and/or design new filters and add such review functionality, you might consider outsourcing to a third-party than can resolve these problems, or you might want to consider subject tagging in the place of holding or bouncing E-mail, and then have the E-mail clients filter messages with the tagged subjects into Junk folders that they can choose to either review or ignore.

Matt

IS - Systems Eng. (Karl Drugge) wrote:

Believe me, I’d love to find a way to do it, but when I HAVE to receive emails from hideously mis-configured servers, whack-job citizens, and other municipalities with less then stellar I.T. staff… from any where at any time, not bouncing becomes the worse of two evils.

As an example, if I DELETE an email from a citizen because it meets my delete criteria ( let’s say a nut-job, retired, self declared IT samurai with a shareware SMTP server, on a dial up account to a local home based ISP run by his best friend ) I can ( and have ) been questioned by the City Manager on exactly WHY he didn’t get this email, because this nut-job shows up to a city council meeting and has a foaming at the mouth fit in public. Technical explanations don’t cut it in the political arena. I have to, at the very least, send something back to notify the originator that the email was bounced, unless it’s so horribly mal-formed, or chock full of key words, that it I can absolutely guarantee it’s spam.

But, if someone wants to take a crack at it, I’ll be more than happy to post my config files.

Karl Drugge