From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 3:10 PM
To: Declude.JunkMail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] Declude 3.0 / 4.0

Barry,

Before you publish your future strategy, you should take a lot more time to consider the willingness of your customers to come along.  I have never heard of a similar piece of software that expires in this way, and effectively forces a customer to renew their license.  The only things that are remotely close are Microsoft products which are sold a different way for volume licensing, but they offer these subscriptions at a price that is just a fraction of the full product price, they are generally considered to be discounted by the companies purchasing them, and the choice is optional to choose the subscription or the standard purchase.  That is clearly not the case here.

Declude is not a service, it's a piece of software, and I expect to pay for software the way that software is paid for.  I will never pay an annual license to use such a piece of software.  Never.  Especially when that piece of software requires me to pay for multiple other products in order to have acceptable protection, and work many long hours in developing plug-ins to enhance functionality that doesn't exist in the product itself.  The strength of Declude is it's flexibility as a framework, but not as a solution in itself.  There is a major disconnect between your perception of the market, and what I an others on this end see.

While this model might seem appealing to you, it is grossly uncompetitive, and it comes at an incredibly inopportune time.  We as a community have been mostly understanding of the disruption associated with the change of ownership, but up to this point there has been only small advancements in the product that benefit us.  With the exception of one piece of added functionality, I could still be using the same release that I was using two years ago when you took over the company.  Whether or not it is apparent to you, it is very apparent to the majority of your customers that I communicate with that the product is lagging, and not it is being priced uncompetitively on top of that.  People who are one day faced with the prospect of renewing a service agreement and feeling angry over not having used a single release in the previous year are now being faced with a choice between a dead-end product (non-annually licensed software), and upgrading to an annual license at a greatly increased price.

The issues with development and price on their own aren't my only concerns.  Since I see this as grossly uncompetitive, I also worry about whether or not Declude can be a going concern under these conditions, and a large part of my own business has been built on top of the functionality that the product offers.  I don't perceive the possibility of success in this model, and I likewise don't believe that I can rely on Declude going forward as long as this is the model that you choose.  As a business person, I must protect my own interests and find a suitable solution for my needs.

It's not yet too late to rethink your licensing and other plans going forward, but I fear that you won't get very far before the damage can't be undone.

Matt

Barry Simpson wrote:
Each customer has a price on their host record which reflects their
individual special price. This is confidential for each customer and I will
not be posting details on a public forum.

We are currently developing some documentation that should be published next
week outlining changes and future strategy. As soon as this is available we
will inform our customers.

Barry