Declude wouldn't even install for us.  It kept giving error 8001 "Error
copying files to target directory".

Our setup sounds similar to yours.  We had Declude on C: and it kept trying
to install the new stuff to J: (where the SmarterMail mailboxes are).  It
wouldn't copy in the new files even after we backed up and deleted all the
existing files.  We finally went into the registry and deleted the entire
ComputerizedHorizons key so the installer wouldn't know about the previous
installation.  We installed and copied in our old settings files and
modified them to add the new Declude options.

Took a lot longer than it should have, but at least it worked.