Sandy,

That link indicates that they actually work in reverse by whitelisting things from greylisting instead this is the other way around where it qualifies messages for greylisting.  Considering how successful and accurate this method is, I would suggest that it is better.  I can't of course say for sure since I'm not much of a source-code guru or Linux expert.  Nevertheless, the open-source and anti-spam communities have made huge contributions, and made it possible for people like me to do what they do, and I'm sure that I wasn't the only one that ever thought about this...but still to my knowledge, it never existed before.

Regarding intellectual property, it's definitely the wrong way to say that.  I don't have any ownership of anything besides a claim to have had an idea, but I can't lay any claim to the product whatsoever, and there are no expectations or discussions of me giving it a rave review or financial benefit to me outside of what the software itself offers.  It could even be considered a detriment to share things that work well in the sense that it makes my system less unique, but I couldn't even come close to quantifying it that way in light of circumstances.

Brian deserves a lot of credit for pulling everything together the way that he did.  It's no small feat to have this working in a stable and somewhat intuitive manner.  This clearly isn't a huge financial venture either, but I doubt that it is going away anytime soon.  It's not however proper for general discussion to lay all of the functionality out sort of like how Scott was tight-lipped about some functionality, but also because it is in fact intellectual property in the legal sense and I can't make such calls.  Things like tarpitting and standard greylisting are now in some cases being defeated by spammers, and I suppose that it makes sense to not discuss such things in public.  That's really what I should have said.  I do take pride in having the idea though, even if I wasn't the only one :)

What I did do though is map out enough of a picture for all to see if they felt the need, and I think that many of us do.  I think that it's valuable to share such things, especially when there have been so few solutions to date that one could run on the same box and accomplish pre-scanning with any degree of accuracy and validate addresses.  I described many things about my ORF experiences too when that was the only app in town that fit that bill to some extent.  I'm certainly guilty for being overly enthusiastic about this one.  With the right tools and not an enormous amount of work, most here could manage pretty close to the theoretical limit in results.

Matt

Sanford Whiteman wrote:
I  have never seen anyone else even talk about selective greylisting
for instance, and I'm so damn grateful that I now have it.

Well --

      http://packages.debian.org/unstable/mail/whitelister

--  a  postfix  pd that pre-checks messages against lower-impact tests
such  as  DNSBLs  before  escalating  to  postgrey.  In  other  words,
selective greylisting. Released 8/2005.

If there is still a widespread adversion to this discussion, I would
be happy to take it off-list.

Gotta  tell ya, you almost had me looking the other way until you said
you  consider the component of the third-party product that you spec'd
out  to  be (your?) "intellectual property." Are we to understand that
you do not have a business relationship with the vendor of the product
under  discussion?  That  you  have  not received compensation, profit
shares,  payment  in kind (free copies) for your design input into the
commercial  product?  Hoping  you're observing full disclosure in your
continuing posts about the product.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/