someone was touting ASSP but not sure how well
that works.

ASSP is just excellent at blocking or categorizing spam and its
integration with ClamAV is great at catching those image only spams
using sanesecurity sig files.  It is a single threaded Perl
application and as such probably has a functional ceiling in how many
messages it can handle per day per server so may not be as efficient
in extreme cases as a gateway machine like Imgate, but I have read of
folks using it on one machine for fairly large amounts(100k a day) of
email and they are running it on modern machinery.  We are running it
on a 7 year old dual P3 Dell server and it is handling 10k connections
daily, and about 3.5k emails (we don't block spam, we send to each
user's spam folder).  We also run the email through 2 different AV
gateways along the way, all on the same server, before Imail sees it,
so lots of work being done and the only time we have a problem is when
someone wants to send a 35MB PPT or DOC to people outside the company.
Everything runs well, it just takes a while to crunch.

In ASSP there are many different ways to handle the different types of
spam, and spam can be blocked/rejected by failing connection tests,
content tests, or any combination of tests and penalty score accrued.

Setting it up is not for the weak hearted or those lacking in patience
or a will to learn which shouldn't be a problem for anyone on this
well informed list. :o)

I highly suggest anyone in the email business set up a test server and
put ASSP on it to learn about.  The only downside to ASSP is it must
be the first hop in your SMTP path in order for it's connection
testing, delaying-greylisting, and auto-blacklisting to work.  It only
looks at the connecting SMTP server for the IP testing.  If that
happens to be your ISP or another computer in your network, then it
can't do any useful connection based tests.

Another free SMTP anti-spam proxy that will do recursive testing on
all IP's found in the headers is SpamPal, but its developer has
stopped working on it due to illness and the version that has migrated
to a sourceforge project seems to have stalled.  The last version is
solid though and there is still an active forum.  Yes SpamPal was
conceived as a client side pop3 scanner, but it grew into and works
well as a server smtp proxy.  If you wanted to use it as an additional
pop3 proxy on the server your users could connect to a port of your
choosing for pop3, proxied by SpamPal, and their email would be
anti-spam scanned at that time, maybe days after receiving the email
allowing the spaming IP to get on those RBL's that missed it when it
first came in because it was too new to be known.  It will proxy IMAP
too.

These can both be used in concert with Declude, and Imail or
Smartermail, and while ASSP will run on 'nix variants, SpamPal runs
natively on Windows OS's only.

Doug