Gents and the occasional lady:

You all are the smartest network folks I interact with.  If you'd be so kind
as to give me your opinion / suggestions on the following, I'd be forever
grateful.

We're trying to increase the level of uptime and redundancy for our service.
To that end, we're looking to establish a hot failover site in a location
remote from our current colocation facility.  We're in Chicago, we're
thinking a driveable city on a completely different grid (Milwaukee,
probably.)  If the entire Midwest gets nuked, nobody is going to be buying
much online.

We're looking at approaches to achieve that failover automatically.  Our
budget and technical expertise aren't large (we now can handle BGP
internally if we have to, but we don't have any of the necessary
infrastructure to do that, and would very much prefer not to invest in that
infrastructure.)  We rely on our colo facility to provide bandwidth,
routing, internal DNS, etc.  (they have great bandwidth, routing, seven
providers, etc.) but since there are humans involved, they could screw up,
too.  We rely on Ultradns for external DNS.

Once our users actually reach our firewall, we have great redundancy inside
our rack.

The most promising approach at this time seems to be to use somebody like
ultradns or dnsmadeeasy to provide dns failover.  That is, they're watching
our site, and if we go down, they switch out A records and point traffic to
the backup site.

If it matters, we run ms sql, mirroring and log shipping.  We'd have the
mirror db and the witness in the remote location.

Thanks for whatever thoughts you can add to this challenge. DNS failover a
workable solution?  We'll be looking for a colo facility in Milwaukee or
Indianapolis with 4U available if somebody wants to point us there.

Yours,

Rob

www.iGive.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]