From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Darin
Cox
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 9:04 AM
To: declude.junkmail@declude.com
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] form spam filter

Hi Matt,

Parsing CAPTCHA essentially means OCR.  OCR in general would be
CPU-intensive.  Spammers are using such techniques for Yahoo, Hotmail, and
Gmail due to the high value in a process that gets them success in creating
new email accounts to spam from.  However, it's important to note that their
success rate is 20-33% in hacking CAPTCHA.   For a feedback or such form on
a customer website that only emails the website owner (which is the problem
we were faced with), the value is probably not high enough for a spammer to
expend the CPU to break in 1 in 3 or 1 in 5 tries, or even 1 in 1 for that
matter.  However, that will most likely change as CPU continues to get
faster and less expensive.

Certainly fully processing Javascript/CSS would be difficult, but it's not
necessary.  As I mentioned, scripting/testing tools are around that allow a
spammer to quickly and easily generate a script for a particular site.  Yes,
they would have to do this one site at a time, but it would be the easiest
way to approach it.  Once done, they would not have to redo it unless the
page changed, which they could monitor.

For example, the hidden DIV with fields would have been broken very quickly
by spammers on the free email account sites.  CAPTCHA took a lot longer, and
success is limited.  That in itself is testimony to the effectiveness of
CAPTCHA.

Good point about using a non-standard means to secure a form.  My concern
about your method is that it will fail with some of auto-fill procedures
I've seen, where CAPTCHA hasn't.

The other problem with non-standard approaches is that success typically
results in popularity... thus eventually becoming losing it's non-standard
status.  Once known, it is easily bypassed, and as mentioned tools are
available to defeat it now.  Because of this, I would rather depend on
technical soundness than a trick that can be easily defeated.

Since no method is fool-proof, to raise the level of security on a form
perhaps we should apply multiple techniques to secure it, as is a general
best-practice in the security industry.

As usual, the level of security required depends on the value received from
breaking it.  So, it's a judgement call by the website owner as to the
level(s) of security to apply.  Agreed that CAPTCHA requires an extra step
by the user, but given the ease of implementing CAPTCHA and its overall
effectiveness, I still believe CAPTCHA is the single best method to secure a
public form.

Darin.