> Sandy, I guess that was a question that was on my mind.  We've never had
> anything set up for the web server before - only the REVDNS for the mail
> server itself.

In order to set up a valid PTR (that is, canonically accurate) for the
webserver as queried by your mailserver, you need to have a DNS server
that is capable of returning PTR data for your private IP range.

Note  that this is actually reason #nnn to not rely solely on external
DNS  servers  (viz.  the  debate  from  a  few weeks ago), since those
servers  cannot  return records for your internal IPs. It is true that
in  very  simple  networks,  one  rarely  needs  internal  reverse DNS
resolution;  it  is  admitted  that  maintaining in-addr.arpa zones is
indeed  a  step up from the pure, demonstrated simplicity of running a
caching-only  recursive DNS server. Nonetheless, if you have more than
one  internal  machine *and* maintain a Declude installation, I remain
firm in my belief that you should be able to maintain a DNS server.

The  other  way  around  it is to use whitelisting, etc., but I really
like to have my machines know each other. Maybe that's just my thing.

--Sandy

Sanford Whiteman, Chief Technologist
Broadleaf Systems, a division of
Cypress Integrated Systems, Inc.
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

SpamAssassin plugs into Declude!
  http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/SPAMC32/download/release/

Defuse Dictionary Attacks: Turn Exchange or IMail mailboxes into IMail Aliases!

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/exchange2aliases/download/release/

http://www.imprimia.com/products/software/freeutils/ldap2aliases/download/release/