From: Michael Graveen
To: declude.junkmail@declude.com
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 7:54 AM
Subject: re: [Declude.JunkMail] BackScatter

I think Greylisting reduces backscatter.  Greylisting stops the majority of the
SPAM from ever reaching our mail server, so it never has a chance to get
bounced back because of a non existent user, etc.

Mike

Hi Everyone -

We've been having a few issues with mail servers refusing our mail.  Today I
ran a test on DNSStuff and found that our IP is on BackScatter.org.  They are
referencing an  event on 4/27, and supposedly we will be removed after 4 weeks
if they haven't had any other issues.  Of course we can pay to have it removed
sooner.  I'm not sure if being listed in their DB is the main culprit to the
server refusals that I've seen?

We switched over to SmarterMail in mid-April.  Since 4/27, we have implemented
grey listing.

Is grey listing a good first line of defense?  Is there anything else I should
be doing to prevent back scatter?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Todd