Hi Brian,
Thanks for the explanation.

Mike

Hi Mike, I can help with this.

Greylisting it tremendously effective however it can cause a lot of problems if
it is not done selectively. We worked closely with Matt Bramble and a few other
Declude "power users" to develop ways to apply greylisting only when it is most
likely to be beneficial. Blanket greylisting is dangerous in that not
everything plays well with greylisting. Also, you'll always have those users
who are expecting an immediate email from someone, and greylisting is going to
delay it if they have not successfully passed greylisting before.

Rather than greylisting everyone (which you can do If you want), what we did is
to allow you to specify a number of criteria that will trigger greylisting. In
these cases, greylisting is not triggered until something suspicious is
encountered. Because Interceptor/Alligate is designed from the ground up to
examine every aspect of the SMTP conversation, there are several points in the
transaction where greylisting can be invoked. These include the senders
reputation based on our MXRate rating, the originating country, volume, recent
history, suspicious HELOs, blacklist hits, and several other items.

This provides a much more effective way to employ greylisting without
inconveniencing most users or senders. In fact, most end users never realize
greylisting is being used. The idea here is to determine if something is
probably spam, and if we have reason to believe that it may be, then impose a
greylist check. You do not have to educate your users this way, and you will
have far less complaints.

Hope this helps.

Brian